Saturday, October 10, 2009

Natasa or Natasha?

The boat is currently registered 'Natasa'.

According to mythology, various gods of the air and sea kept log books with names of each vessel and their deeds on the high seas. So, whenever a new ship was built and commissioned, she would be presented to the gods for entry into their logs. It would not be good for the sailors on board if Poseidon looked up one day and found a ship sailing in his domain that was not logged into his books.

Alternatively, some say it upsets the ghosts of missing sailors and the gods of the deep. Old seafarers say there is an old chant needed to be said to bring good luck in the future. The chant goes like this "Oh all and sundry and the gods of the deep I ask your protection and show my respect to the sea god Owatagou Siam. Hear ye all hear ye Owatagou Siam hear ye Owatagou Siam"

When re-painted, she will be named Natasha - spelt with the H. If I bump into Poseidon, I will tell him that HE obviously has made the mistake and should be more careful in future. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. This should help. I like the bit with all the friends and drinking!!

    http://www.ehow.com/about_5452251_boat-name-changing-rules.html

    ReplyDelete