Monday, October 19, 2009

Day Five - pm.

It's raining again. Oh no, it's raining again.


It is the end of the day. This afternoon I have been to the local version of a B&Q to procure a 50m extension cable, hasp and padlock. It was a 2 mile walk to get there. I only bumped into three people I know while walking round the town. Just before leaving the boat, because I was going to be away for some time, I decided to close up and lock my tools and laptop in the cabin. It all locked ok - but the key broke in the lock. Considering that, and the other challenges I have had today when I saw them I had a grin from ear to ear. It is nice to bump into people you know when you are having a rough day.

After a week of roughing it on the boat, I have decided to enjoy a very civilised Friday evening to round off my week working on the SS Titanic. To this end, just before it started raining, I went to the supermarket and bought some provisions. For four days (barring one Gyros Pie) I have lived on pene pasta with a stock cube. Tonight I was going to splash out. Tonight I was going to relax in style. Tonight I was going to enjoy myself. Time to push out the boat. I bought ICE.

A vodka/mixer drink without ice just isn't civilised, and I was going to enjoy myself. Because the rain was imminent I knew I was not going to go back into town. Not to the bars. Not to the restaurants. Not to that place I passed where they do pole dancing (I was looking for B&Q!).

Shopping for one is a bit like 'Ready Steady Cook' if you let it be that way. Find a small supermarket and wander round with your eyes closed. Use Braille to examine items on the shelves and deposit them in your basket. I ended up with: Ice (but I was looking for that); Lemonade; Vodka; Bressola (a sort or air dried meat - thinly sliced - maybe beef, but more likely probably cat or a Peruvian); Bacon; Salt; Chilli flakes; Mustard powder (not Coleman’s) in fact it looks a bit anaemic; A tin of some sort of tomatoes; pepper; frozen pre-cooked chicken fillets (reconstituted - probably cat or an Inuit); and some curry powder (local style - may contain nuts but no curry!).

For my civilised dinner - curry it is! *big grin*

My next blog entry might be from the local hospital given that all I have to cook on is a small single ring camping stove designed for making coffee (yes - they are sold for making coffee here! Do you really think I can find the right canister for my proper camping stove?).

No comments:

Post a Comment