Monday, October 19, 2009

Day Four - Thursday 15th October

It's raining. The mattresses from the cabins needed a wash - hopefully they will dry out before I leave on Monday morning. The batteries are charged now. I am still working out the electrics. There are three main switches under the stairs - one large aluminium lever type and two plastic key switches. At the moment, the two key switches appear to do nothing. I am guessing that just means I have not found out what they are supposed to do yet. Throughout the whole boat just three lights work - none of which are in the fly bridge - but it does mean that I don't have to rely so much on my torches tonight.


The ignition keys turn and individually cause a warning siren to sound from under the control panel. Turning them both on just increases the pitch. I have not tried turning over the engines yet. I will check the oil later and perhaps give it a go when I am comfortable that the boat will not shake off its oildrum boat stands. Actually, I don't need to check the oil - I know exactly where it is - it is in the bilge under the port engine.

I have some de-ciphering to do (read: Admiral Voulla has to do). The switch panel is all labelled in double Dutch.


Just to make things more complex - I photographed this out of focus!

I requested use of a pressure washer from Gregory - this has to be the only boat yard in the world that does not have one (although I have seen five around). However, Gregory has promised me that he will jet the underside before I return on my next visit.

My supplies are running a bit low. I have 3 beers, 1 shot of Vodka and just enough lemonade mixer. I still have pasta and stock cubes to eat. Had my first cup of coffee on the boat this morning. Reminder to self - when Admiral Voulla says "Don't buy this because there is some [sweetener in this case] in the cupboard" - remember to pack it! Its still raining, so I not going out to get some.

The antique VHF radio is now working and as I sit here typing this I am listening to the ship to shore communications on Ch. 16. The global standard language for these communications is English. It is hilarious listening in and hearing the different accents. I am sure one of the approaching ships is being crewed by Pabil Chekov (StarTrek).



Stoneage VHF

I have found one advantage of the rain - It is showing me where the decks are leaking. Of course the fact that the decks are leaking at all is not very useful, but at least I know where the water is coming in.

The rain is not stopping. I have just heard a gale warning come in over the VHF radio. Given that all my work will be inside today - I have spent some time measuring and drawing the replacement fly-bridge enclosure. The current enclosure is canvas - one side of which has been wrecked by high winds. The new one will be a wood and glass construction, built and finished to match the rest of the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment